I like to make dinner as easy, cheap and healthy as possible. Since ordering 40 pounds of ground beef from Zaycon Fresh in December, I’ve had to get creative with recipes so that we don’t end up eating hamburgers and tacos every day.
This week, tri-colored peppers were on sale for less than $2 at Aldi. I picked up two packs because peppers are full of nutrients, are low carb and are delicious. I still had some shredded cheese in the fridge, some diced tomatoes in the pantry and some brown rice in a jar ready to be cooked.
And just like that, the unstuffed pepper casserole was born.
A quick note: You can certainly add in your cooked rice to the rest of the casserole before placing it in the oven. Due to my diabetes, I opted to cook and serve the rice separately so that I would know exactly how much I wanted to consume.
- 3 medium peppers in the color of your choice
- 1/2 of a 15oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 C shredded cheese of choice
- salt and pepper
- carrots (optional)
- 1/2 C brown rice
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Brown your ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, chop your onion, peppers, carrots and mince your garlic.
- In a casserole dish of your choice (I used an 8x8 glass dish), place your peppers, onion, garlic, carrots, cooked ground beef and toss with your half can of diced tomatoes. Top with cheese and place in your oven for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your rice using your preferred method and seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!