I went to Chipotle with a friend a couple of weeks ago and they asked if we wanted to try their sofrito. Having that mean something different to me, I said yes out of curiosity. It was so good! They told me it was their tofu option and I knew right away that I had to recreate it at home.
I made it without telling my husband. When he came up from the basement for dinner, he asked what was for dinner. I told him tacos without elaborating much. Once he figured out it was tofu, he protested but ate it anyway. A few bites in, he said “I will not admit that this is really good.” He then proceeded to get seconds and thirds.
These are a great addition to your weeknight dinner rotation and would be perfect for Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday.
We had leftovers so I made myself a taco salad for lunch the following day. I’d say it was even better the next day.
- 1 12oz block of extra firm tofu
- 3 mini sweet peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- salt and pepper
- olive oil for pan
- In a skillet, heat your olive oil over medium heat. In the meantime, coarsely chop your tofu into ground beef like clumps.
- Sauté your peppers and onions. Add in your tofu and seasoning.
- Once most of the moisture from your tofu evaporates, add in your tomatoes and salt and pepper.
- Cook for a few more minutes and then serve!