Merenguitos are something that I grew up eating. Of course, the ones I ate were sugar filled and never quite my favorite. As I grew up, I made them my own way which meant less sugar – and I preferred it that way.
I stumbled across a recipe for strawberry flavored merengues and I decided to change it and adapt it to make it my own. They turned out great! Very flavorful but yet still healthy and completely carb free.
- 2 small packages strawberry Jello (equals 2 tablespoons)
- 3 egg whites or 9 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated stevia
- Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees Farenheit
- Whisk your egg whites and salt with a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) until frothy
- Add in your remaining ingredients and whisk until stiff peaks
- Spoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. When 25 minutes are up, turn off your oven and let them sit for another 20 minutes. This will result in a slightly crunchy merengue with a soft center. If you want them to be more crunchy, leave them in the oven for 30-35 minutes after baking.
This recipe is: gluten-free, vegetarian, low carb, diabetic friendly, grain-free, nut-free.