Growing up I never much cared for Thanksgiving pie. I don’t like pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie – but I DO like apple pie. I like it Dutch, I like it American. I decided it was time to try my hand at my own low carb apple pie filling. Guess what. It was so great! I ate it on it’s own with some whipped cream and I also tried it fried in an egg roll wrapper. I actually preferred it on its own with whipped cream.
This is a super easy recipe that takes very little time and tastes so good.
- 3 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup granulated Stevia
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ lemon, juiced
- Place your butter in a medium sauce pan, but do not turn it on yet. Core, peel and cut your apples and set aside in a bowl.
- Gather the rest of your ingredients and have them ready.
- Turn your saucepan on to medium heat and let the butter start to melt. Add in your apples and let cook for about 30 seconds before you add in your coconut flour.
- Stir until there is no flour visible. Then add in your vanilla extract, water, cinnamon and stevia and let simmer over medium/low heat until the apples start to soften. When the apples are at your desired consistency and the sauce has thickened, then your filling is done.
- If you are making this to eat with whipped cream then you can serve it hot. Otherwise, let cool before filling your pastry or refrigerating.