These cupcakes had been on my list of a long, long time until one day, I just decided it was the time to make them. I love how they look, and though I wasn’t able to taste them, the fact that my husband (who is not a citrus lover) devoured four of them within an hour tells me that they were delicious as well!
- For the Cupcake
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 1/3 C lemon juice
- For the Frosting
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 C white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 lemonade girl scout cookies, crumbled up (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with liners of your choice.
- In a bowl, whisk together all of your dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together your sugar and butter, add in your lemon extract and your eggs one at a time. Once that is combined, alternate your dry ingredients with your lemon juice until you have a smooth mixture. Blast it for 20 seconds and then scrape with a rubber spatula. Fill your liners and bake for 20-22 minutes – until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For your frosting: Gather all of your ingredients in a large heatproof bowl and place it over a pot of simmering water. Make sure the water is not high enough in the pot to where it would touch the bottom of your bowl. Using a hand held electric mixer, beat your egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt for exactly seven minutes. It should be glossy and very voluminous.
- To get the chard look, you can use a kitchen torch or use a candle lighter (but be VERY careful).
- Top with half a girl scout lemonade cookie and serve!