Believe it or not, there once was a time when I despised eggplant. The first couple of times that I made it, I hated the texture and flavor. Then, after watching several recipes on YouTube, I discovered that eggplant is like a sponge and will absorb whatever flavor you put into it. Henceforth, it’s completely up to you how it turns out. I’ve since mastered the texture and have experimented with several flavors along the way. This recipe was delish and I even had the leftovers for lunch the next day. Dare I say it was even better the next day?
- 3/4 to 1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 15ozcan of diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- Brown your ground beef, chicken or turkey. Drain any excess oil. Set aside.
- Cube and sautee your eggplant in the same skillet that you browned your meat.
- Once your eggplant is starting to soften, add your meat back in to your skillet along with your tomatoes and seasonings. Cook until reduced by 1/3 and eggplant is fork tender.
- Serve with a fried egg on top or with a side of brown rice or simply as is!