I try to incorporate vegetables into most of our meals. My husband, though he will eat anything I give him, prefers pasta, potatoes and rice over vegetables. On this day in particular, I made him a side of cheesy potatoes, but gave him his meat in a zucchini boat – forcing him to eat his veggies too! He thoroughly enjoyed it and mentioned how that is the way to get him to eat his greens.
This recipe is very easy and takes just a few minutes of hands on time and a few more minutes in the oven.
Give it a go and watch it disappear!
- 2 medium to large zucchini, sliced lengthwise and hollowed out
- 1 lb ground beef
- seasoning of choice (I used Italian)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 C water
- mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice your zucchini lengthwise and hollow out the centers leaving a border on all sides as well as on the bottom. Do not discard the insides of your zucchini. Set them aside for later use.
- In a skillet, brown your ground beef and discard any excess fat, Add in any aromatics that you'd like (garlic, onion peppers) as well as your seasonings. Add in the insides of your zucchini to your meat mixture.
- Next, add in your tomato paste and water. Let the water reduce leaving you with a thick sauce.
- Scoop mixture into your zucchini. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!