I’ve always had a love affair with pound cake. It’s a staple in hispanic households. Everyone knows how to make a pound cake and it’s the base for most other cakes.
I was on the search for a good grain-free pound cake recipe and came across this one by Savory Lotus. I had everything on hand to make the cake so I gave it a go! I did tweak it a little to make it diabetic friendly though.
It turned out really well, though just a smidgen dry when cold, heating it up completely fixed the problem. I plan to use this recipe as a base for other cakes to come. I’d like to make a blueberry cake and a pineapple upside down cake – so stay tuned for those.
My husband bought me this coconut flour for Christmas and I really love it. I suggest giving it a try.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup granulated stevia
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- baking spray to grease your pan
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients. I sifted the coconut flour to make sure there were no clumps. Gather your wet ingredients in a separate bowl and your egg whites in yet another bowl. No one ever said you wouldn't have a lot of dishes.
- Whip your egg whites until you have stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry and stir until combined.
- Carefully fold in your egg whites to your batter being sure not to deflate the egg whites.
- Pour your batter into your prepared cake pan and bake for 26-30 minutes. Your cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, diabetic friendly, low carb, vegetarian, contains good fats, and is delicious!
*This post contains affiliate links.