Okay, I’m going to be completely honest with you. I’ve never eaten an authentic arepa. I’ve seen them many times, in person and on the internet, but have never actually had one. Well, I really kinda wanted one last week and had some cauliflower in the fridge and well….the pizza recipe was so successful that I decided to give it a go. Plus, how weird/difficult could it be? It is just a glorified grilled cheese….
I am so glad that I made this! This was so delicious and so filling.
I’ve never had the real thing, but if it’s anything like my version it’s pretty darn good.
- 2 cups grated cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1. Grate your cauliflower in a food processor. Place in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool before handling.
- 2. Place cauliflower on a clean, lint-free towel and wring out all the moisture from the cauliflower.
- 3. Place your now moisture-free cauliflower in a bowl and add the rest of your ingredients, minus the cheese.
- 4. Form into two discs that are about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Make them as close to the same size as possible.
- 5. Bake on broil for 7 minutes, flip and return to oven for another 7-8 minutes. The edges should be golden brown.
- 6. In a non-stick skillet add some oil of your choosing to the bottom of your pan - enough to just grease the skillet. I used just a little bit of butter. Turn the heat to medium-high.
- 7. Place one of your discs in your skillet, then place the cheese on top of the disc. Place your other disc on top of the cheese. Cook as you would a grilled cheese, just until the cheese is melted and you've developed a lovely golden brown color on both sides.
- 8. You've now made your arepa! Enjoy!
This recipe is gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, low-carb, low-glycemic.