My love affair with tofu continues…I try to schedule one to two meals per week that are meatless (more if I can make it happen) and this week, I knew we were going to have a tofu night. This recipe, however, kind of came out on a whim. I had the ingredients in the fridge and when I took them out, it just sort of happened. I figured, why not make some buffalo sauce to coat the tofu and make it into wraps. The cucumber and tomato helped to reduce the heat of the buffalo sauce and it all paired really nicely. This meal was packed with flavor but was still really fresh at the same time.
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 4-6 outer leaves of ice berg lettuce
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and diced into cubes
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 cucumber,chopped however you prefer
- Buffalo sauce:
- 2 tbsp hot sauce of your choice
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- In a dry large skillet, sautee your mushrooms over medium heat until browned. At this point you can add a little bit of olive oil and some salt to the pan.
- Place your tofu in the pan and cook until you have a golden color on most sides.
- Prepare your sauce by melting your butter in a small dish and then stirring in your hot sauce. Add to your tofu/mushroom mixture and turn off the heat. Make sure it's all coated.
- Prepare your lettuce wraps by placing your cut cucumber and tomato inside your leaves. Fill with as much or as little mixture as you would like.
- Serve and enjoy!