I’m a pizza lover. This is not a secret. You’ve seen many pizza recipes on this blog (like this one and this one and don’t forget this one and well, this one too) and I promise this won’t be the last.
I usually go to the grocery store with a plan and a list. I know more or less what I plan on making throughout the week. Lately that includes a rotisserie chicken from the prepared foods section. I cut it up and put it in an airtight container for the week ahead. We get a good four meals out of one chicken – but more on that in another post. This particular shopping trip, I not only picked up a chicken but since eggplant was on sale, I grabbed one too. I didn’t have a plan for it, but I figured I could come up with something!
Then, as I was looking through Pinterest, I saw a buffalo chicken pizza – which reminded me of how much I wanted to make a low carb version of this again. I decided it was time to make an eggplant pizza.
It turned out super delicious and was definitely something that I’ll be making again with different toppings. It was easy to put together and a fairly quick meal. I was able to pick up the medallions with my hands, like a traditional pizza and I did not feel like I was missing anything. I highly suggest giving this a try.
The picture with the bread was my hubby’s plate. I didn’t want to deprive him too much! I just had some veggies with mine.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into medallions (about 1/2 inch thick)
- pizza sauce of your choosing (I made my own to keep it as low carb as possible)
- 6 oz chicken breast, shredded (I used 1 ounce per medallion)
- buffalo sauce of your choosing (again, I made my own to keep it carb-free)
- 1 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your eggplant into medallions as listed above. Place them on a lightly greased baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, get your chicken in a pan to cook or heat through if already cooked. Prepare your pizza sauce and shred your cheese. Get your buffalo sauce ready too.
- Once your chicken is cooked through or warmed through if already cooked, add in your buffalo sauce. Make sure that your chicken is all coated thoroughly. Turn of your heat and set aside.
- Once your eggplant has softened in the oven, about 10 minutes, pull out the pan and start assembling your pizzas. You want to put your sauce first, then any spices you want to add (red chili flakes, oregano, salt and pepper), then your chicken and finally your cheese. Return the pan to the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until all the cheese is melted.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes and then serve and enjoy!