Quiche is a dish that is easily modifiable to meet specific dietary needs. It’s great for a clean-out-the fridge day and it’s super easy to put together. You can make your quiche crustless (my preference), you can use a traditional crust or you can make a low carb crust as I did with this specific recipe.
For this particular quiche I wanted to feature asparagus but I also wanted to add a couple other flavors. I had some red peppers that I thought would add great color and some leftover imitation crab that added great flavor as well as a beautiful orange color to compliment the red, green and yellow.
I lightened up this recipe by using some egg whites and almond milk instead of all whole eggs and heavy cream. The results were fantastic and this is now a staple in our home.
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites (or 9 tablespoons of egg whites)
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 C almond milk
- 2 sticks of imitation crab, shredded
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can of chopped asparagus or 5 skinny stalks chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pie crust of your choosing
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook your pie crust according to the directions. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare your egg mixture by combining all of your wet ingredients in a bowl until well incorporated.
- Add in your dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour your mixture into your pie dish with your crust.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is: gluten free, grain free, low carb, diabetic friendly, under $20